|Area of Responsibility||
Milky Way Galaxy
Fleet Admiral Teylas Ramar
Admiral Elizabeth Wolf
The Fourth Fleet, colloquially known as Bravo Fleet, is one of the numbered fleets that make up Starfleet. Founded in response to the Borg incursions and rising Dominion threat of the 2360s and 70s, for much of the past two decades it has been assigned duties following the Federation's non-interventionist policies since the Attack on Mars. Recently, however, the 4th Fleet has been repurposed for missions beyond the Federation's territory and interests. With a highly specialised array of Task Forces, Bravo Fleet is dedicated to frontier defence, humanitarian support across borders, diplomatic engagement, and deep-space exploration.
The modern incarnation of the 4th Fleet came into being after the Borg incursion of 2367, which triggered a period of Starfleet developing its militarised technology and policies, leading to the development of a technologically cutting-edge fighting force preparing for future such encounters. Bravo Fleet was officially formed shortly after the Battle of Sector 001, but early Starfleet losses in the Dominion War saw a need for better strategic and tactical cooperation between their forces and those of the Klingon Empire. Thus was the fleet repurposed as the Starfleet wing of the primary joint force with the KDF, fitted and developed as a combat unit from the beginning, albeit now against a different foe. After the war, Bravo Fleet retained this status as a flexible unit adapting to Starfleet needs, often on dangerous frontiers.
The Attack on Mars led to a significant shift in Starfleet protocols. Federation policy demanded a non-interventionist approach to interstellar affairs, a focus within its own borders in resources, defence, and research. Bravo Fleet thus spent much of the next fifteen years with minimal resources, plugging gaps where needed and rarely fulfilling its original mandate. This changed in 2399 with a shift in the lower echelons of Starfleet Command, a drive to return to Starfleet's traditional role, and a reluctant allocation of resources and a new mission for Bravo Fleet followed.
Now, specialised task forces undertake key operations across the galaxy on matters of diplomatic intervention and deep space exploration, with Starfleet ships pushing beyond borders and involving themselves in political engagements of other powers on a scale barely seen in two decades. With relatively limited resources and support from Starfleet, and many apprehensive that their mission may draw the attention of threats to the Federation, old and new, the 4th Fleet faces an uphill battle in upholding Starfleet’s legacy of diplomacy, exploration, and peace.
As a collection of highly-adaptive, specialised task forces, Bravo Fleet is a largely decentralised unit with wings across the galaxy to meet the changing needs on Federation frontiers. Each task force thus maintains a headquarters in the region of the galaxy that presently most benefits from their presence. However, any ship may be dispatched to any sector requiring their expertise and involvement.
Deep space operations. Task Force 17 conducts deep space exploratory and diplomatic missions far beyond Federation borders, in challenging, distant corners of the galaxy such as the Delta and Gamma Quadrants. They are specialists in long-term operations with little support from Starfleet infrastructure.
Diplomacy and peacekeeping. Based out of Starbase 72, close to the Cardassian border, Task Force 72’s ships are at the forefront of diplomatic intervention and peacekeeping. Their duties focus on engagement with political powers in volatile regions, ensuring stability between major governments and the protection of local populaces.
Border defence and counterinsurgency. Based out of Starbase 86 and bordering the unclaimed Triangle region of the Beta Quadrant, Task Force 86 has a mandate of maintaining local stability and security. They operate in regions beset by insurgency or criminal forces, primarily through cooperation and support of local governments and civilian populations.
Humanitarian operations. Based out of Devron Fleet Yards on the border to the old Romulan Neutral Zone, Task Force 93 is tasked with providing humanitarian support and protection to struggling regions of the galaxy. While this includes protection from predatory factions, Task Force 93 aids worlds devastated by natural disasters or violence, and treats with local and major powers to coordinate this assistance.
- 2367: Starfleet plans to form a technologically advanced fighting force to counter future Borg threats.
- 2373: The Fourth Fleet, codenamed Bravo Fleet, is formed.
- 2374: With the outbreak of the Dominion War, Bravo Fleet is assigned as the Starfleet wing of the joint Federation-Klingon Alliance forces. It will proceed to have a strong bond with the KDF for decades to come.
- 2376: Bravo Fleet is adapted after the war as a flexible unit to respond to a variety of Federation and galactic crises.
- 2384: With the pending Romulan Supernova, Bravo Fleet is assigned to assist the initial Romulan Evacuation efforts.
- 2385: After the Attack on Mars, the evacuation is aborted and resource allocation to Bravo Fleet is greatly reduced as Starfleet focuses on internal Federation affairs. The Fourth Fleet loses much of its prestige over the next 14 years.
- 2391: Forces from Bravo Fleet participate in Operation: Gatecrasher, ejecting annexing forces of the insurrectionist Klingon movement the Sovereignty of Kahless from Federation border worlds.
- 2399: Starfleet Command issues a directive allocating resources to new border and deep space operations. Bravo Fleet is assigned to this project, despite public misgivings of such a use of Starfleet resources.