User:JonM/Sandbox/Task Force 38
- Manage the operations of Federation ships and colonies isolated in the Delta Quadrant.
- Explore the Gradin Belt and the Round Table under the Delta Exploration Initiative.
- Establish a permanent presence and peaceful relations with neighboring species.
- Protect Federation interests in the Quadrant and its citizens who explore and conduct trade.
- Find means to communicate with and travel between the Federation and the Gradin Belt.
Current State of Affairs
Task Force 38 operates in the Gradin Belt and the Round Table, two distant regions of the Delta Quadrant connected to each other once every nine days by the Epatha Gateway. This gateway also serves as the Task Force's only connection to Federation space, connecting with a terminus in the Raeyan Sector once every ninety days. The rest of the time, the Task Force operates autonomously under the purview of the Delta Exploration Initiative.
From early 2386 until June 2388, Task Force 38 had a consistent connection to home via a transwarp gate. Unfortunately, this gate was destroyed during the Battle of the Round Table when the Borg attacked Starbase 900, stranding Task Force 38 in the Delta Quadrant with no link to Federation space.
Task Force 38 is now Starfleet's most distant and isolated task force, struggling with many of the same challenges once faced by the USS Voyager. For the first five months after the destruction of the transwarp gate, Task Force 38 operated completely autonomously without any communication or support from home. Now, while a connection has been discovered through the Epatha Gateway to the Raeyan Sector, that connection only occurs once every ninety days for fifteen minutes, and thus, while the task force receives occasional updates, ships and personnel from home, the rest of the time, it is completely on its own.
Main article: Epatha Gateway
The Epatha Gateway is a wandering cyclical wormhole that connects the Gradin Belt with other regions of space. The Gateway connects Task Force 38's two areas of operation (the Gradin Belt and the Round Table) once every nine days, and it serves as Task Force 38's only means of transit back to the Federation core territories by way of a connection to the Fourth of July Nebula in the Raeyan Sector once every ninety days.
When first discovered by the USS Equinox, the Epatha Gateway was considered an unstable wormhole that connected the Gradin Belt and the Round Table. However, upon further research and study, the Epatha Gateway was discovered to actually be a wandering cyclical wormhole where, while one aperture is always at a fixed location in the Gradin Belt, the other end of the wormhole rotates through a series of other apertures in a cyclical pattern. Many termini of the Epatha Gateway have been found to be either impassible or irrelevant, but several are critical to the operations of the task force:
- Aether System in the Round Table of the Delta Quadrant (30 minutes every 9 days)
- Fourth of July Nebula in the Raeyan Sector of the Beta Quadrant (15 minutes every 90 days)
The Gradin Belt
Main article: Gradin Belt
The Gradin Belt is a region of the Delta Quadrant several thousand light years in diameter approximately forty thousand light years from Federation space. It is connected to the Round Table (Delta Quadrant) and the Raeyan Sector (Beta Quadrant) by way of the Epatha Gateway and serves as a primary area of operation for Task Force 38. Because it hosts the task force's only fickle connection to Federation space, it is also home to Kartelan Station (Starbase 38), the headquarters of Task Force 38.
The Gradin Belt hosts a wide range of major and minor powers, including the Turei Alliance, the Malon Cooperative, the Devore Imperium and Hierarchy Central Command. It is bordered by Hirogen space on one side, and the Borg on another, with a region known as Chaotic Space serving as a buffer between the Belt and the Borg. Since its arrival in the Gradin Belt, Task Force 38's operations have been mostly focused around the Epatha Gateway, including signing the Kartelan Protectorate Agreement, entering into a non-aggression pact with the Turei Alliance and commissioning Starbase 38, but now its ships are reaching further out across the Belt.
The Round Table
Main article: Round Table
The Round Table is a region of the Delta Quadrant defined as all space within ten thousand light years of the Mordred Nebula. It is approximately twenty thousand light years from the Gradin Belt and fifty thousand light years from Federation space. Since 2383, it has been the primary area of operations for Task Force 38, originally connected by an Iconian Gateway and later by a transwarp gate that have both since been destroyed. Today, the Round Table continues to serve as a primary area of operations for Task Force 38, connected to the Gradin Belt by way of the Epatha Gateway.
The primary part of the Round Table thus far explored by Task Force 38 is known as the Jathlin Arm, a densely populated region home to the Federation's Persephone and Helios colonies, the Starfleet Diogora and Helios bases, the Perenalthorias Union of Commonwealths and a wide variety of other minor and major powers. In its past, it also hosted Starbase 900 and a transwarp gate connected to the Federation, but these were destroyed in the Battle of the Round Table, and a memorial known as Hestia's Hearth is now all that remains in their place.
Theater of Operations
- Delta Quadrant Homeworlds and Notable Locations
- List of Major Players in the Delta Quadrant
- List of Minor Players in the Delta Quadrant
The Gradin Belt
- Epatha System - The home of the fixed terminus of the Epatha Gateway, a wandering wormhole that connects the Gradin Belt with the Round Table, the Raeyan Sector and other points of interest in a cyclical manner.
- Kartelan Station - An abandoned Kartelan lunar base repurposed for research and protection of the Epatha Gateway and as the headquarters of Task Force 38.
- Kartelan Protectorate Agreement - Establishes the Kartelans as a protectorate of the Federation and grants Task Force 38 the use of an old Kartelan lunar base.
Points of Interest
- Chaotic Space - An energetic zone of space with extreme graviton disturbances and spatial sinkholes causing an extreme hazard to navigation for all who attempt to cross, Chaotic Space is a natural buffer that has prevented the Borg from encroaching further into the Gradin Belt.
- Hazari Asteroid Belt - A vast asteroid field believed to be the debris of an ancient world, the Belt now host a mercenary combine known as the Hazari who are believed to work for the Vaadwaur and others in the region.
- Markonian Outpost - Built by the Markonians after their world fell to the Borg, this outpost has become a safe haven for refugees fleeing the Borg from beyond Chaotic Space.
- Borg Collective
- Devore Imperium
- Hierarchy Central Command
- Malon Cooperative
- Turei Alliance
The Round Table
- Diogora Station - This Immense-class starbase is the only remaining Starfleet-constructed starbase in the Delta Quadrant following the destruction of Starbase 900. It now serves as a makeshift construction and repair yard for the task force.
- Helios Colony & Station - Following the crash landing of the USS Helios on Demeter, Helios Station was built out of its saucer. Federation citizens have since taken up residence around it in what is now known as Helios Colony.
- Hestia's Hearth (Ruins of Starbase 900) - A memorial to Starbase 900 and the Starfleet officers and marines who died fighting to protect it.
- Persephone Colony - The first Federation colony in the Round Table, it has taken on increased importance following the Battle of the Round Table as one of two Federation civilian population centers in the Delta Quadrant.
Points of Interest
- Aether System - The closest system to the Epatha Gateway's terminus in the Round Table, it is home to the Ghemawat Realm, a species that lays claim to the Epatha Gateway and strictly control who may pass through it.
- Mordred Nebula - The location of Starbase 900 and the transwarp gate that connected Task Force 38 to Federation space before both were destroyed.
Task Force History
In 2357, Starfleet created Detachment 38 as part of an effort to return to Starfleet's original mandate following the end of the bloody ma:Cardassian Wars. Dedicated to first contact and diplomacy, Detachment 38 was responsible for negotiating the first treaties with Altair VI and Aldea, the Peace of Donatus, the admission of Balarus and the Cairn into the Federation. It also instituted and oversaw the Officer Exchange Program between 2359 and 2366 until the program became a function of the Federation Diplomatic Corps.
In the early 2370's, Detachment 38's mandate changed. First, under the moniker Defense Force Delta, it was given responsibility for the volatile Romulan border, and as the Dominion War kicked into full swing, Defense Force Delta, along with much of the rest of the Fleet, found itself eventually deployed to the front lines where it served until the end of the war.
Soon after the end of the Dominion War, Defense Force Delta would find new purpose after an experiment with an Iconian Gateway on Union III created a wormhole connecting it to an Iconian gateway far across the galaxy in the F'hoca Sector of the Delta Quadrant. In the wake of this discovery, the cross-functional diplomatic and tactical unit was rebranded Task Force 38 and assigned to exploring and charting the F'hoca Sector under the Delta Exploration Initiative.
Task Force 38 operated in the F'hoca Sector from 2376 until 2383. Except for several run-ins with the Borg, the early years in the F'hoca Sector were mostly a return to the sort of exploration and diplomacy at the center of Detachment 38's original founding two decades earlier. This all changed in 2381 when the Borg unexpectedly attacked and destroyed Starbase 911, the headquarters of Task Force 38 at the exit aperture of the F'hoca Gateway. For the next two years, Task Force 38 had to deal with hostile incursions by the Borg culminating in the Omega Crisis of 2383 when the F'hoca gateway was destroyed, along with Starbase 900, the replacement to Starbase 911.
Following the loss of the F'hoca Gateway, it appeared at first like the Delta Exploration Initiative was over; however, to the surprise of all, the Union Gateway unexpectedly reactivated and connected with another Iconian gateway, this one in the Solaria Nebula of the Round Table about thirty thousand light years away from the F'hoca sector. Task Force 38 used this Iconian gateway to continue the work of the Delta Exploration Initiative, now focused on the Round Table, until 2386, when it replaced the unpredictable Iconian gateway with the Federation's first transwarp gate.
In total, the Iconian gateway and the transwarp gate provided unfettered access to the Round Table of the Delta Quadrant for the better part of five years before tragedy struck, but all this changed in June 2388 when the Borg Collective attacked Task Force 38 in the Battle of the Round Table. During the battle, Task Force 38 was forced to destroy the transwarp gate in order to prevent the Borg from discovering and using it to attack the Alpha Quadrant, effectively stranding the officers and civilians of the Delta Exploration Initiative in the Delta Quadrant.
For half a year, Task Force 38 was forced to operate completely autonomous in the Delta Quadrant. It set up colonies, refitted an old starbase as a maintenance yard, made diplomatic inroads with neighboring powers and discovered a cyclical wandering wormhole, the Epatha Gateway, linking the Round Table to another region of space called the Gradin Belt. Then, in 2388, another discovery was made: not only did the Epatha Gateway link the Gradin Belt to the Round Table once every nine days, but, once every ninety days, the wormhole also linked the Gradin Belt to the Raeyan Sector for a period of fifteen minutes. No longer completely cut off, Task Force 38 has since continued the original work of the Delta Exploration Initiative with a fickle lifeline to home for supplies, personnel and information from the Alpha Quadrant every three months.
- Delta Quadrant Map
- Delta Quadrant Astrometrics Database
- Major Species and Governments
- Minor Species and Governments
- Additional Lifeforms
- Task Force 38 Timeline
- Task Force 38 Command History
|TASK FORCE 38|
|Task Force||Overview • Simulations • Forums|
|Areas of Operation||The Gradin Belt • The Round Table • Epatha Gateway|
|Federation Assets||Kartelan Station (TFHQ) • Helios Station & Colony • Diogara Station • Persephone Colony • Hestia's Hearth|
|Additional Data||Battle of the Round Table • Delta Advisory Council • Kartelan Protectorate Agreement • Underspace|
|Resources||Task Force History • Command History • Delta Quadrant Astrometrics • Delta Quadrant Powers • Old Theatre|