Task Force 38
|Task Force 38|
|Area of Responsibility:||
Delta Exploration Initiative
|Task Force CO:|
|Task Force XO:|
- Manage the operations of Federation ships and colonies isolated in the Delta Quadrant.
- Explore the Gradin Belt and the Round Table under the Delta Exploration Initiative.
- Establish a permanent presence and peaceful relations with neighboring species.
- Protect Federation interests in the Quadrant and its citizens who explore and conduct trade.
- Find means to communicate with and travel between the Federation and the Gradin Belt.
Current State of Affairs
From early 2386 until June 2388, Task Force 38 had a consistent connection to home via a transwarp gate. Unfortunately, this gate was destroyed during the Battle of the Round Table when the Borg attacked Starbase 900, stranding Task Force 38 in the Delta Quadrant with no link to Federation space.
Task Force 38 is now Starfleet's most distant and isolated task force, struggling with many of the same challenges as once faced by the USS Voyager. For the first five months after the destruction of the gate, Task Force 38 operated completely autonomously without any communication or support from home. Now, while a connection has been discovered through the Epatha Gateway to the Raeyan Sector, that connection only occurs once every 45 days for 15 minutes; as such, while the task force receives occasional updates, ships and personnel from home, the rest of the time, it is completely on its own.
Main article: Epatha Gateway
The Epatha Gateway is a wandering cyclical wormhole that connects the Gradin Belt with other regions of space. The Gateway connects Task Force 38's two areas of operation, the Gradin Belt and the Round Table, every 9 days, and serves as Task Force 38's only means of transit back to the Federation core territories by way of a connection to the Fourth of July Nebula in the Raeyan Sector once every 45 days.
When first discovered by the USS Equinox, the Epatha Gateway was considered an unstable wormhole that connected the Gradin Belt and the Round Table. However, upon further research and study, the Epatha Gateway was discovered to actually be a wandering cyclical wormhole where, while one aperture is always at a fixed location in the Gradin Belt, the other end of the wormhole rotates through a series of other apertures in a cyclical pattern. Many termini of the Epatha Gateway have been found to be either impassible or irrelevant, but several are critical to the operations of the task force:
- Aether System in the Round Table of the Delta Quadrant (30 minutes every 9 days)
- Fourth of July Nebula in the Raeyan Sector of the Beta Quadrant (15 minutes every 45 days)
The Gradin Belt
Main article: Gradin Belt
The Gradin Belt is a region of the Delta Quadrant several thousand light years in diameter approximately 40,000 light years from Federation space. It is connected to the Round Table (Delta Quadrant) and the Raeyan Sector (Beta Quadrant) by way of the Epatha Gateway and serves as a primary area of operation for Task Force 38. Because it provides the task force's only fickle connection with home, it is also home to Kartelan Station (Starbase 38), the headquarters of Task Force 38.
The Gradin Belt hosts a wide range of major and minor powers, including the Turei Alliance, the Malon Cooperative, the Devore Imperium and Hierarchy Central Command. It is bordered by Hirogen space on one side, and the Borg on another, with a region known as Chaotic Space serving as a buffer between the Belt and the Borg. Since its arrival in the Gradin Belt, Task Force 38's operations have been mostly focused around the Epatha Gateway, including signing the Kartelan Protectorate Agreement, entering into a non-aggression pact with the Turei Alliance and commissioning Starbase 38, but now its ships are reaching further out across the Belt.
The Round Table
Main article: Round Table
The Round Table is a region of the Delta Quadrant defined as all space within 10,000 light years of the Mordred Nebula. It is approximately 20,000 light years from the Gradin Belt and 50,000 light years from Federation space. Since 2383, it has been the primary area of operations for Task Force 38, originally connected by an Iconian Gateway and later by a transwarp gate that have both since been destroyed. Today, the Round Table continues to serve as a primary area of operations for Task Force 38, connected to the Gradin Belt by way of the Epatha Gateway.
The primary region of the Round Table charted and explored by Task Force 38 is known as the Jathlin Arm, a densely populated region home to the Federation's Persephone and Helios colonies, the Starfleet Diogara and Helios bases, the Perenalthorias Union of Commonwealths and a wide variety of other minor and major powers. In its past, it also hosted Starbase 900 and a transwarp gate connected to the Federation, but these were destroyed in the [Battle of the Round Table]], and a memorial known as Hestia's Hearth is now all that remains in their place.
Theater of Operations
The Gradin Belt
- Epatha System - The home of the fixed terminus of the Epatha Gateway, a wandering wormhole that connects the Gradin Belt with the Round Table, the Raeyan Sector and other points of interest in a cyclical manner.
- Kartelan Station - An abandoned Kartelan lunar base repurposed for research and protection of the Epatha Gateway and as the headquarters of Task Force 38.
- Kartelan Protectorate Agreement - Establishes the Kartelans as a protectorate of the Federation and grants Task Force 38 the use of an old Kartelan lunar base.
Points of Interest
- Chaotic Space - An energetic zone of space with extreme graviton disturbances and spatial sinkholes causing an extreme hazard to navigation for all who attempt to cross, Chaotic Space is a natural buffer that has prevented the Borg from encroaching further into the Gradin Belt.
- Hazari Asteroid Belt - A vast asteroid field believed to be the debris of an ancient world, the Belt now host a mercenary combine known as the Hazari who are believed to work for the Vaadwaur and others in the region.
- Markonian Outpost - Built by the Markonians after their world fell to the Borg, this outpost has become a safe haven for refugees fleeing the Borg from beyond Chaotic Space.
- Borg Collective
- Devore Imperium
- Hierarchy Central Command
- Malon Cooperative
- Turei Alliance
The Round Table
- Diogara Station - This Immense-class starbase is the only remaining Starfleet-constructed starbase in the Delta Quadrant following the destruction of Starbase 900. It now serves as a makeshift maintenance and supply yard for the task force.
- Helios Colony & Station - Following the crash landing of the USS Helios on Demeter, Helios Station was built out of its saucer. Federation citizens have since taken up residence around it in what is now known as Helios Colony.
- Hestia's Hearth (Ruins of Starbase 900) - A memorial to Starbase 900 and the Starfleet officers and marines who died fighting to protect it.
- Persephone Colony - The first Federation colony in the Round Table, it has taken on increased importance following the Battle of the Round Table as one of two Federation civilian population centers in the Delta Quadrant.
- Archalaran Accords - Establishes the Archadian Confederacy as a protectorate of the Federation in exchange for control of an Iconian gateway that was since destroyed.
Points of Interest
- Aether System - The closest system to the Epatha Gateway's terminus in the Round Table, it is home to the Ghemawat Realm, a species that lays claim to the Epatha Gateway and strictly control who may pass through it.
- Jathlin Arm - The primary region of the Round Table explored by Task Force 38, home to a number of species and powers including members of the Perenalthorias Union and the Jathlin Trading Group.
- Mordred Nebula - The location of Starbase 900 and the transwarp gate that connected Task Force 38 to Federation space before both were destroyed.
- Pre-Warp Cradle - A crescent-shaped region of space home to a number of pre-warp civilizations allied with the Dendrian Order.
- Star Desert - A region of space relatively devoid of stars that was known to have once been inhabited by the Skareen.
- Archadian Confederacy
- Borg Collective
- Divitian Republic
- Ghemawat Realm
- Perenalthorias Union of Commonwealths
Task Force History
Main article: Task Force 38 Timeline
Detachment 38 was founded in 2357 as a specialized unit focused on diplomacy and first contact after the end of the Cardassian Wars. During the tumultuous early 2370's, it was rebranded Defense Force Delta, serving along the Romulan border before deploying onto the front lines of the Dominion War.
Following the discovery of an Iconian Gateway linking the Raeyan Sector to the Delta Quadrant in 2376, the unit, with its mixed diplomatic and tactical history, was assigned to the Delta Exploration Initiative and officially branded Task Force 38. Task Force 38 has operated continuously in the Delta Quadrant ever since, although its area of operations has changed a couple times. From 2376 to 2383, it operated in the F'hoca Sector, and since 2383, it has operated in the Round Table, adding the Gradin Belt as a second area of operations in 2388 following the discovery of the Epatha Gateway.
The task force has a storied history. In its early days, it was instrumental in the signing of major treaties and in the induction of new members into the Federation. During the Dominion War, it fought in several major battles, and since serving in as the operational arm of the Delta Exploration Initiative, it has struggled to protect the Federation's interests in the Delta Quadrant. In 2383, the Battle of Union relocated its Delta Quadrant theatre, and in 2388, the Battle of the Round Table cut the task force off from Federation space until a new fickle connection was found through the Epatha Gateway.
- Delta Quadrant Map
- Delta Quadrant Astrometrics Database
- Delta Quadrant Powers
- Task Force 38 Timeline
- Task Force 38 Command History
|TASK FORCE 38|
|Task Force||Overview • Simulations • Forums|
|Areas of Operation||The Gradin Belt • The Round Table • Epatha Gateway|
|Federation Assets||Kartelan Station (TFHQ) • Helios Station & Colony • Diogara Station • Persephone Colony • Hestia's Hearth|
|Gradin Belt||Ba'neth • Borg Collective • Devore Imperium • Hierarchy Central Command • Hirogen • Kartelan Protectorate • Malon Cooperative • Markonian Outpost • Ord'mirit Mining Corporation • Turei Alliance • Vaadwaur|
|Round Table||Divitian Republic • Five Star Liberation Front Movement • Ghemawat Realm • Jathlin Trading Group • Perenalthorias Union • Pre-Warp Cradle • Star Desert|
|Additional Data||Battle of the Round Table • Delta Advisory Council • Kartelan Protectorate Agreement • Underspace|
|Resources||Task Force History • Command History • Delta Quadrant Astrometrics • Delta Quadrant Powers|