From Bravo Fleet Infobase
|Date Entered Service:||
|Fourth Fleet Ships in Service:|
The Sovereign Class starship was born out the necessity for more combat oriented starships to help combat the Borg Collective, yet keep host to a wide variety of exploratory and diplomatic missions during peacetime. Originally three starship designs were fielded to combat the Borg: Project Sovereign, Project Defiant and Project Nova. Both the Defiant and Nova projects were considered entirely too small to field what was needed; however they were later rebuilt into separate starship designs. For the mainstay of what the project called for, the Sovereign design was chosen to essentially replace the Galaxy Class as the flagship design of the Federation.
Implementation of the design of the starship and construction began in 2367. Construction moved along quickly and integrating some of the newest Federation technologies into the ship design was proving to be surprisingly easy. The integration of the bio-neural gel pack with the already conventional isolinear chip system proved to have few complications. Other new systems included the field testing of the quantum torpedo turret system, enhanced regenerative shielding system, energy-dispersive ablative hull armor, redesigned warp drive and the previously classified "Type-X+" phaser systems. The Type-X+ would be later reclassified as the Type-XII.
The USS Sovereign was finally completed in 2369 and began its shakedown cruise along the Romulan Neutral Zone. Many aspects of the Sovereign proved to be well above expectations during testing. After eight months of shakedown in open space, the Sovereign was returned to dry dock for finalization and commission.
The Sovereign proved to be a well-founded design in terms of its combat abilities. However it lacked the high maneuverability of ships similar to its size or the ability to achieve the higher warp speeds seen in the Intrepid and Prometheus Classes. That being said, the ship more then made up for itself in terms of phaser power, torpedo compliment, and torpedo tube placement, which supplemented the forward quantum turret.
Several more of the class were put into production and even the USS Enterprise, the flagship of the Federation, was readmitted into service as a Sovereign class. The first real test for the Sovereign Class was during the Battle of Sector 001 in which the Enterprise arrived in time to help destroyed the Borg vessel in conjunction with the rest of the fleet. Later, during the Dominion War, the Sovereign and Enterprise saw combat while the other ships were slowed in their production in favor of the smaller, more powerful and quicker to build Defiant Class. Near the end of the war six more of the class were completed and two helped with the Jem'Hadar clean up across the quadrant.
Following the war, the Sovereign class was re-tasked with front line exploration of open space along with its fellow exploration-driven starships. In the decade following the close of the Dominion War, the Sovereign class starships have served in a variety of roles as flagships, command and control centers, diplomatic envoys, first contact headquarters, front line defensive vessels, exploratory starships, scientific couriers and troop transports. The versatility and endless abilities of the Sovereign has proven it to be a worthwhile design, and it will continue being, for many decades, the mainstay of the Federation fleet.
ENERGY WEAPONS 16x Type-XII Phaser Arrays TORPEDO LAUNCHERS
Isolinear/Bio-neural Computer System
|Deck||Details/Specifications of Deck|
The Sovereign In Play
- The Sovereign remains Starfleet's premier ship of the line, and the arrival of a Sovereign-class ship in a system is a statement on the part of Starfleet Command that whatever is happening there has the attention of the Federation. There is no spaceframe in the Federation armada that can match the tactical capabilities of the Sovereign, and indeed there are few in any Alpha or Beta quadrant fleet.
- Sovereign-class starships have exceptional strategic operations capabilities, with the ability to provide logistical and strategic support for major fleet operations.
- The Sovereign also has top-tier diplomatic facilities, though this is a trait they share with other large explorers like the Century and Galaxy classes. Their combination of tactical and diplomatic capabilities makes the Sovereign a good choice for transporting VIPs, especially those who face personal or political threats to their safety.
- The tactical and strategic capabilities of the Sovereign class come at a significant cost in terms of scientific and exploration prowess, and the simple fact that it is such a threat renders it unsuitable for some forms of diplomatic work. While the ship remains a versatile platform, this weakness is significant enough to require the presence of the complementary Century-class ship.
- The Sovereign-class ships are all commands of high prestige, and therefore almost always given to experienced captains, especially experienced combat captains. While there are always exceptions, the vast bulk of Sovereign-class starships are their captain's second or third command in an already-lengthy, impressive career.
- A sim or fiction set aboard a 'Sovereign'-class starship will most likely be crewed by the best and brightest of their generations, and be given the most important and prestigious jobs to do, with a slant toward missions where the tactical and strategic capabilities of the Sovereign are a significant asset. This does not necessarily mean combat - a Sovereign-class ship's presence will often force a situation to deescalate, and a common duty of these ships is to simply show the flag.
- NPC Sovereign-class starships should rarely be seen, and, when they are, be a sign that things are serious and the Federation sees them as such. When one becomes involved in a situation, standard practice is that its captain take operation command of the situation as a whole.
|Official Federation Starship Specifications|
|Starship Classes 24th Century||Akira • Ambassador • Antares • Ares • Argonaut • Ascension • Atlantia • Aquarius • Cardiff • Cerberus • Centaur • Century • Challenger • Cheyenne • Concorde • Defiant • Diligent • Dumont • Excalibur • Freedom • Galaxy • Galaxy Refit • Insignia • Intrepid • Kelvin • Luna • New Orleans • Nebula • Norway • Nova • Odyssey • Olympic • Onimaru • Pathfinder • Prometheus • Raven • Rhode Island • Ronin • Saber • Sovereign • Springfield • Steamrunner • Titan • Vesta • Wallace• Wildcat|
|Starship Classes 23rd Century||Akula • Cardenas • Constellation • Constitution • Constitution (Refit) • Crossfield • Engle • Excelsior • Excelsior (Refit) • Hoover • Magee • Malachowski • Miranda • Nimitz • Oberth • Ohio • Shelley • Shepard • Soyuz • Sydney • Walker|
|Starship Classes 22nd Century||Columbia • Daedalus • Franklin • NX • NX Intrepid • Yorktown|
|Federation Shuttle Craft|
|24th Century||Type 5 shuttle • Type 6 shuttle • Type 7 shuttle • Type 8 shuttle • Type 9 shuttle • Type 10 pod • Type 11 shuttle • Type 15 pod • Type 16 pod • Type 18 pod • Work Bee|
|23rd Century||Class F • Travel Pod • Type 2 • Type 3 • Work Pod|
|22nd Century||Inspection Pod • Shuttlepod|