|Date Entered Service:||
Regenerative Shielding Systems
Originally designed in 2368, the Valdore was labeled as 'unneeded' by the Romulan Military. At the time, Romulan thinking was that the D'deridex Class of warbird was unmatched by anything in the Starfleet or Klingon fleets. With the production of the Preax class cruiser, a much smaller ship, the Romulans felt that even if an enemy had many smaller, more maneuverable ships and were able to 'run circles around' the D'deridex, the Preax would be an overwhelming counter. The prototype ship sat in storage at the Romulus Imperial Fleet Yard until 2376.
With the Romulan fleet taking moderate losses to the Dominion, mainly because even the largest Dominion ships could out maneuver the D'deridex and the Preax was no match for these ships, the Romulan Senate ordered the Valdore class into production. Taking advantage of newer technologies, as well as advice from their Federation and Klingon 'allies', the Valdore prototype was rebuilt from the keel up.
Designed to be a strike cruiser, the Valdore's primary beam/pulse weapons are actually more powerful then the larger D'deridex's (3 Type-20, compared to 1 Type-21 of the D'deridex). However this is balanced out with fewer torpedo launchers and secondary beam/pulse weapons. The Valdore also has better maneuverability then the D'deridex and is somewhat faster. However the biggest draw back to the class is it's shielding. Romulan beliefs are that a strike cruiser should be a heavily armed, fast ship. Able to rush in, attack a target, and get out. Not stand nose to nose with larger ships, or even with ship's it's own size, unless the enemy's tactical systems are inferior. The Valdore's mission also includes advanced scouting, a role it's taking over from the older Romulan scout vessels, due to it's greater speed.
Six of the new ships were ready by mid 2376 and rushed to the front lines. Commanding the small task force was a man soon to be very well known in the Star Empire and the Federation, Shinzon of Remus. The new 'Valdore Strike Force' deployed on it's first mission in November of 2376, attacking a Breen shipyard. The base was destroyed in less then twenty minutes. Other engagements followed, against ever increasingly tougher targets. Shinzon proved to be a tactical master, winning every engagement he fought in and catapulting the Valdore's status as a great ship. By the end of the war, there were nearly as many Valdore type warbirds on the front line as D'deridex type Warbirds.
Today, there are almost one hundred Valdore type warbirds in the Romulan Military. Their latest battle came against the man that helped them create a name of their own, Shinzon. However Shinzon was able to use his knowledge of the class to destroy one and heavily damage the other (the IRV Valdore itself) when the two ships aided the USS Enterprise-E in it's attempted to stop Shinzon from reaching Earth in his attempt to destroy all life on the planet. After the encounter the Valdore Class' current in service, and future ones, were refitted with higher intensity power cores and more advanced shielding systems as well as more advanced science capabilties. Now the Valdore's are more muti-functioning vessels like the D'deridex's, with more advanced weapons and similar shields. The Valdore's will help pave the way for the future in Romulan ship design.
- Role: Medium Cruiser
- Dimensions: 604 meters (L) x 755 meters (W) x 134 meters (H)
- Decks: 30
- Expected Duration: 85 years
- Time Between Resupply: 2 years
- Expected Refit Cycle: 5 years
- Total Crew: 490
- 105 Officers
- 304 Enlisted
- Emergency Capacity: 1,250
- Thrusters: RCS Thruster Packs
- Sublight Speed: 2/3 of the speed of light
- Warp Speed
- Cruising Speed: Warp 6
- Maximum Warp: Warp 7
- Emergency Warp: Warp 9.23 (for 12 hours)
- 1 forward facing heavy disrupter cannon mounted in the forward hull.
- 1 disrupter emitter mounted on the dorsal surface of the forward hull
- 1 disrupter emitter mounted on the port side of the forward hull
- 1 disrupter emitter mounted on the starboard side of the forward hull
- 1 disrupter emitter mounted on the ventral surface of the forward hull
- 1 disrupter emitter mounted on the dorsal surface of the upper neck
- 1 disrupter emitter mounted on the port side of the upper neck
- 1 disrupter emitter mounted on the starboard side of the upper neck
- 1 disrupter emitter mounted on the ventral surface of the lower neck
- 1 disrupter emitter mounted on the dorsal surface of the port wing tip
- 1 disrupter emitter mounted on the dorsal surface of the starboard wing tip
- 1 disrupter emitter mounted on the port side of the port weapons pod
- 1 disrupter emitter mounted on the ventral surface of the port weapons pod
- 1 disrupter emitter mounted on the starboard side of the starboard weapons pod
- 1 disrupter emitter mounted on the ventral surface of the starboard weapons pod
- 1 forward torpedo tube mounted in the port weapons pod
- 1 aft torpedo tube mounted in the port weapons pod
- 1 forward torpedo tube mounted in the starboard weapons pod
- 1 aft torpedo tube mounted in the starboard weapons pod.
- Shields: Regenerative Shielding Systems
- Computer Systems:
- Isolinear Computer Systems
- 4 six-person transporters
- Transporter Range: 45,000 Kilometers
- Sensor Range: 20 light years
- Communications Range: 25 light years
- Shuttles: 8
- Cloaking Device
- The Valdore class houses its torpedo tubes and disrupter emitters in weapons pods located at the ships wing tips just outboard of the warp nacelles.
|Official Romulan Starship Specifications|
|Heavy Warbird Classes||D'deridex class • Khellian class • Scimitar class|
|Medium Warbird Classes||22nd Century Bird Of Prey • Valdore class|
|Light Warbird Classes||Bird Of Prey • D'renet class • Drone Ship • Laehval class • Lanora II class • Preax class • Shrike class • Ventarix class|
|Shuttle Classes||Vreenak class • Shalimar class|
|Fighter Classes||Aen'rhien class • Scorpion class|